Leek and Gruyère Tart
A Savory Galette for Every Occasion
For the Pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
For the Filling:
- 3 large leeks, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Egg Wash:
- 1 egg, beaten
1. Prepare the Pastry:
- In a food processor, combine the flour, cold butter, and salt. Pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Be careful not to overmix.
- Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Sauté the Leeks:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks and sauté until they are softened and slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
3. Roll Out the Pastry:
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry into a circle, about 12 inches in diameter.
4. Assemble the Tart:
- Transfer the rolled-out pastry to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Leaving a border around the edges, spread the sautéed leeks evenly over the pastry.
- Sprinkle Gruyère cheese on top of the leeks and scatter fresh thyme leaves over the cheese.
5. Fold and Brush with Egg Wash:
- Carefully fold the edges of the pastry over the filling, creating a rustic, free-form tart.
- Brush the exposed pastry with the beaten egg, which will give it a golden finish when baked.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown, and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
7. Serve and Enjoy:
- Allow the tart to cool slightly before slicing.
- Serve warm as an appetizer, light lunch, or a delightful side dish for dinner.
This Leek and Gruyère Tart offers a wonderful combination of flavors and textures, making it a versatile and impressive addition to your recipe repertoire.